Do you offer free estimates and quotations?
Yes, we sure do. We’re more than happy to discuss your project and provide you with an estimate with no strings attached.


Why do I need a licensed electrician? 

The consequences of DIY work can be fatal.  Not only that, it is illegal and can jeopardise your insurance. Electrical work in your home or commercial property should only be done by a licensed electrician. 


Are all electricians licensed?

When choosing an electrician or electrical contractor, there should be a license number on their website or advertisement. You can check a license number in QLD here https://fswqap.worksafe.qld.gov.au/elis/ and NSW here https://www.onegov.nsw.gov.au/publicregister/#/publicregister/search/Trades 
If you can’t confirm their license details, don’t hire them. 


Can I do my own electrical work?

No. It’s illegal for anyone other than a licensed electrician to do electrical work, or carry out electrical repairs. If you do your own electrical repairs it can affect your property insurance cover and you risk being fined and prosecuted. 


What exactly is ‘electrical work’?

Replacing a light switch, installing a power point, repairing an appliance or installing fans are all examples of electrical work. While you can purchase these items yourself (switches, fans, etc) an electrician must do the installation. 


What is a safety switch?

A safety switch is a type of circuit breaker designed to protect us from electric shock. If a safety switch detects the electrical current is leaking somewhere, it turns the power off almost instantly to avoid electric shock or injury to a person.


How is a safety switch different to a circuit breaker?

People often confuse safety switches with circuit breakers and fuses. They serve different purposes and are both essential components to ensure your home or business remains hazard-free. Safety switches are designed to help protect people from electrical hazards by disconnecting the electricity, while circuit breakers and fuses protect your appliances by cutting power when there is a fault or overloading of the system. While they look alike, safety switches have a test button whereas circuit breakers do not.


Do I need a safety switch in my home?

Yes. Queensland electrical legislation states that all homes must have a safety switch installed. 


What does a safety switch look like? 

The safety switch is located in your switchboard. They have a ‘Test’ or ‘T’ button on the front. 


Do I only need 1 safety switch? 

The safest approach is to have a safety switch installed on all circuits in your home. For instance lights, powerpoints, air conditioning and oven. 


Who’s responsible for electrical in a rental property?

The landlord is responsible for electrical repairs if you rent a property. Likewise, if you are a landlord, you are responsible to ensure all electrical installations and fittings are in safe working order. All domestic rental properties require a safety switch in accordance with QLD legislation. 


What are the components you check to make sure a property is safe?

The switchboard, electrical wiring, earthing connections, fittings and smoke alarms are some of the things we look at. If you suspect any problems with these components be sure to get a licensed electrician to check. 


When should I get an electrical inspection? 

Some of the circumstances that might trigger the need for an electrical inspection are:

  • Before you sell a home. As a homeowner you have a legal responsibility to ensure your home is safe. 
  • Pre-purchase electrical inspection before buying a home. If you’re in the market to buy a property you should definitely check the state of electricals prior to making a commitment to buy. If you have a building inspection carried out and a comprehensive electrical check is not included, have an electrician do a thorough check. If DIY electrical work has been carried out, you and your family may be at risk. 
  • If you have an old home. Older homes can be susceptible to unusual electrical problems as a result of aged components or defective work. 
  • After a major weather event. Flooding, storm damage and high winds can cause major risks in your home. 


What is a certificate of compliance? 

If you have electrical work carried out on your property, your electrician can provide you with a Certificate of Compliance of Electrical Work. This is a form of proof that work completed has been checked, tested and complies with regulations. 


What are the basic things you can do to protect your home from electrical risk?

  • Ensure safety switches are installed on all circuits
  • Ensure you have an up to date smoke alarm and it’s operational
  • Get electrical surge protection from faulty appliances and sub-standard wiring
  • Check your fixtures and fittings e.g switch from halogen to safer, more energy efficient LED lights and don’t use excessive powerboards. 
  • Never use faulty appliances or switches
  • Choose the recommended bulb wattage for lamps and light fixtures
  • Don’t use extension cords for long term use
  • Be careful with the placement of heaters
  • Be aware of the age of your home, outdated wiring can be a risk. Homes built years ago were not made to have the wiring capacity for the large number of electrical gadgets we have today. 


What are the signs my home has an electrical problem?

  • Circuit breaker keeps tripping
  • Electrical / burning smell
  • Buzzing, dimming or flickering lights
  • Mild shock coming from appliances or switches

Contact Us

WHy choose US: 

  • Locally owned and operated
  • Serving SE-QLD and Northern NSW
  • Real Estate and Body Corporate specialists
  • On-time reliability
  • Client-focused solutions
  • Sports lighting experts
  • Health and safety focused
  • Regular communication with clients
  • We clean up when the job is done